Sunday, May 8, 2011

The gift of motherhood

With the end of Mother's Day weekend I can't help but reflect on what motherhood is to me. I have been blessed as the mother of Olivia and David but as more than that, I have partnered with Chris as parents and pledge both their lives back to the One who has loaned them to us. 

Motherhood began for me in August of 2007 when we were thrilled to find out we were expecting our first child just before our first anniversary. Late September came and we were hit with a heartwrenching blow and miscarried our little one. After an emotional rollercoaster with ultrasounds, blood work, D&C and picking up to carry on, we were blessed to become pregnant a second time only 6 weeks after miscarrying. Through that pregnancy we were blessed to have a smooth, healthy experience, with scares along the way from the wonderful world of germs that exists in the daycare world I worked in. God's faithfulness did not disappoint and after 32 hours of labour, Olivia Ellen was born at 1:00am Friday July 18 2008. The greatest early birthday gift I've ever received, even if it meant spending my 24th birthday in the hospital, July 19. 

The life of Olivia changed ours forever, but I wouldn't change anything about her sweet, loving, even challenging, little life. She is a perfect little gift and I couldn't be happier as her mommy. 

February 2009 we found out that once again we were expecting, a frightening discovery as we were not planning on another baby quite so soon. Olivia was 7 months old, leaving only 14 1/2 months between our little ones. After a week of tears and fear I decided that God's plan was not my own and I would embrace what He had given me. The following week, I began to spot and experienced a second miscarriage. Most emotional rollercoaster of my life, but God's plan was always evident in every moment, at least in hindsight. 

The joy of pregnancy and elation arrived for us once again in September of 2009 when we found out that we were expecting again! Another healthy, uneventful pregnancy, with a few minor aches that put me off work 2 months early, but gave me a wonderful 2 months to savour with Olivia before she became a big sister. David William John was born healthy, unwillingly, by C-Section at 41 weeks, Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 4:02pm. 

Today I have two very active, keep me on my toes, little monkeys, Olivia is almost 3 and David, almost 1. I can't believe how fast these years have gone by but I try desperately to savour these moments, because I know hubby won't be letting me have babies forever :) 

Today and this weekend I have reflected on what I have been given, the gift of motherhood. I chose this year not to celebrate me, but to celebrate the gifts that have made me a mother. We had a family day yesterday at Chuck E Cheese and enjoyed the awe and joy of Olivia as she played games, enjoyed some rides and ate her favourite, Pineapple Pizza. It wasn't about me this year, even with a few unauthorized but wonderful gifts from my husband, and the sweetest little "gift card" from Olivia that she made in Sunday School. 

Motherhood is not easy, but certainly a gift and a blessing. I may not treasure these 4am wake up calls, fevers, illnesses, ear infections and antibiotics, but I certainly treasure the gifts that I have been blessed to call my own. I can't take lightly the calling I have in being their mom, I know that I will fall short, but as I heard this morning from our amazing Senior Pastor's wife, we can do our very best, but then leave the rest up to God to finish the job as only He can.

Happy Mother's Day to the amazing woman who gave me life and the one who raised my husband into the amazing husband and father he is. And Happy Mother's Day to the awesome ladies who follow my blog and are a cherished treasure in my life for encouragement and examples of wonderful God-fearing moms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment